Murphy Surveys is the largest land and engineering surveying company in the British Isles. From our humble beginnings in Ireland and with a history spanning 4 decades, we are now an international multidisciplinary survey consultancy employing over 240 people. Our services cover all aspects of surveying, including Topographic Survey and Engineering, Building Information Modelling (BIM), 3D HD Laser Scanning, Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR), Specialist Engineering Services, Utility Mapping, Property Services, Monitoring Solutions, Measured Building Surveys, and many more.
Our staff are at the heart of our success and we are committed to recruiting the best people and investing in their continuous development and ongoing training. We are growing strongly in the UK and are always looking for experienced and skilled staff to join us on this journey and help share in our success story.
Why Murphy Surveys?
Murphy Surveys have been in business for the over 35 years and are widely recognised as one of the most experienced, professional, innovative, technically proficient surveying companies today.
Cutting Edge Technologies
To continue to meet the highest possible standards we use only the very latest technological equipment. We recognise that our ongoing investments in this area are key to our success and growth and to the satisfaction of our clients. This investment also enables us to provide a vast range of services without compromise. We also place great emphasis on training our people on an ongoing basis to use the equipment to its full potential.
We pride ourselves on our excellent support network of employees and management who are always eager to help each other. Given the nature of the work we do, there is a shared passion for delivering high quality work to our clients. This shared sense of purpose means that our teams work closely together to effectively plan and implement projects ensuring challenges are shared with the team and solutions are agreed and implemented.
Equality & Opportunity
The company is fully committed to a policy of equality of opportunity in its employment practices. Individuals will be selected, promoted and treated only based on their abilities and merits, according to the requirements of the job.
Learning & Growth
We support and develop our people to enhance their technical and personal competencies towards the achievement of their ambitions. We help understand the skills and capabilities that contribute to success in today’s environment and provide a of ways to develop our staff in their current role and for their future career path.
About the position
We are looking for a surveyor or a senior surveyor to join our Rail Department. Training and investment will be provided to the particular individual to ensure that they are able to work effectively within the rail environment.
This will suit someone from a rail background or someone who is interested in working in rail and has no prior rail experience.
There are opportunities to work within other parts of the business to give a varied experience and will be tasked with all types of surveys from laser scanning to Amberg Trolley surveys etc.
The role will involve site and office works and will be dependent on the current projects
- At least 2 years working as Surveyor (required) and working on railway Projects (preferable)
- Previous experience of topographic surveys and/or Permanent Way and good understanding of rail infrastructure.
- Experienced in use of Network Rail, London Underground &, Railway Group standards as well as the relevant – British Standards and Eurocodes
- Experience working with Leica equipment
- Proficient in AutoCAD and/or Microstation
- Good attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- Excellent work ethic
- Must be willing and able to work weekends and nights as required and travel to various sites throughout the UK.
Optional but advantageous
- Experienced undertaking trolley surveys – GRP1000, 3000 and 5000
- Experienced in Gauging / Clearance surveys using laser sweep or routescan
- Previous experience in planning and access arrangements
- Basic Salary between £25,000-£40,000+ depending on experience and capabilities
- Overtime in addition to the above for any additional hours or weekends worked
- Location: London based but can work from home
- Private healthcare, childcare vouchers scheme and other benefits after 6 months
- On-going career development and training
- Opportunity to be part of a fast growing company and setting the strategy for the future