About This Project
Laing O’Rourke/STRABAG JV has been commissioned by Crossrail Ltd for the C430 Farringdon Station works in London. The project is being delivered in conjunction with Network Rail, who is leading the wider redevelopment of Farringdon as part of the ThamesLink scheme. The contract includes earthworks (excavation and infill), modification of existing – and installation of new – ventilation infrastructure, associated civil works, secant piles, installation of a temporary construction platform including piled foundations, and construction of both the eastern and western integrated ticket halls, providing access to Crossrail, London Underground and ThamesLink services.
The station is located in the London Borough of Islington and comprises two worksites: the Eastern Ticket Hall (ETH) and the Western Ticket Hall (WTH); both surrounded by residential and commercial properties and heavily frequented by pedestrians and vehicles.
Murphy Surveys was selected as provider of construction-related surveying and monitoring services for the duration of the works.
Murphy Surveys is successfully delivering the following solutions throughout the duration of the Advanced Works project:
- Complete automated and manual monitoring.
- Geotechnical instrumentation and automatic total stations – including design, supply, install, maintenance and monitoring of equipment.
- Collection, processing and reporting of data to client on a daily basis. The data is supplied in a specified format for inclusion in the client’s database.
- Construction surveying: site control, topographic surveys, 3D laser scanning, 3D modelling, as built surveys, and setting out.
- Provision of personnel for services on the ground, tracks and in the tunnels.
- Expert consultancy including specialist design advice and expert witness.
- Project management and liaison with client and third parties.
- All work on site must be carried out with due regard to the condition of surrounding structures. We are carrying out all work in accordance with the strict health and safety standards of Crossrail and Laing O’Rourke/STRABAG. Our staff members are trained and have had special inductions for work on the site.
- Murphy Surveys has a full time project manager on site to liaise with the client and coordinate the works. We also have multiple survey crews on site carrying out the manual monitoring and reporting on a daily basis.
Laing O’Rourke/STRABAG joint venture (JV) as part of work for Crossrail
3D Laser Scanning
Ongoing since June 2011
Kronos Tunnel Information System, Total Station, Georobot, sensors, ground level studs, wall sockets, 3D prisms, trackside monitoring LUL, inclinometers, piezometers, extensometers, strain gauges, crack meters, e-level beams