Murphy Surveys is the largest land and engineering surveying company in the British Isles. From our humble beginnings in Ireland and with a history spanning 4 decades, we are now an international multidisciplinary survey consultancy employing over 240 people. Our services cover all aspects of surveying, including Topographic Survey and Engineering, Building Information Modelling (BIM), 3D HD Laser Scanning, Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR), Specialist Engineering Services, Utility Mapping, Property Services, Monitoring Solutions, Measured Building Surveys, and many more.
Our staff are at the heart of our success and we are committed to recruiting the best people, and investing in their continuous development and ongoing training. We are growing strongly in the UK and are always looking for experienced and skilled staff to join us on this journey and help share in our success story.
Principal Objective of Position:
This role will provide leadership within the department ensuring a clear strategy is agreed and cascaded throughout the staff teams. The primary responsibility is to ensure a steady pipeline of opportunities is generated and converted into sales and projects for the department to deliver. This role also holds management accountability for the team and their development.
The key accountabilities and associated duties include:
- Department Strategy
- Developing the departmental objectives and strategy, in collaboration with the Directors and department manager, having regard to the Company’s responsibilities to its shareholders, customers, employees and other stakeholders.
- Take a leadership role in cascading the company’s culture, vision and values throughout the department.
- Responsible for department’s yearly financial budget and to achieve yearly sales department targets.
- Responsible for research and innovation on new software, methodologies and equipment.
- Responsible for Sales/Marketing plan to support strategy.
- Sales & Business Development
- Build and maintain relationships with existing clients to encourage repeat business and initiate a sales pipeline.
- Identify sales opportunities by establishing contacts with potential clients within the target market.
- Identify potential and current competitors and analyse their services / pricing strategies.
- Maintain relationships with external sources and other industry parties, if and when appropriate.
- Drive prospects through to contract award (including identifying new customers and markets, developing approaches to the market, identifying prospects, proposal preparation, etc.).
- Tendering & Negotiation
- Procuring/ tendering new projects and clients for the company.
- Liaising with clients to assess their specific requirements and recommend appropriate solutions along with pricing proposals.
- Engage with internal stakeholders, as required to ensure all proposals are in line with company processes, costing structures and operational capabilities.
- Issue commercial contracts ensuring signed receipt before works commence.
- Take a lead role in any dispute management as projects evolve, ensuring any learnings are implemented.
- People Management
- Ensure an effective project management process is in place to initiate implementation of projects, once contracts have been signed.
- Support the operations and department manager to establish a project plan that accounts for the most efficient use of resources.
- Ensure compliance with all regulations and internal policies.
- Facilitate business growth by working together with clients as well as business partners (suppliers, subcontractors, JV partners, technology providers, etc.).
- Support organisational change initiatives as they are rolled out across the business with the department manager.
- Provide support and information to across the organisation and beyond routine information and processes. Research complex issues to resolve any issues that may arise.
- Geomatics degree level
- 5+ years of Project Management experience
- Proven experience in performance and operations management
- Hold a full driving licence
- Skills that enable collaboration and communication, including the use of Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project
- Work effectively with all levels of management and employees showing respect for deadlines,
collaborative problem solving and honest communication
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even in the face
of stress or demanding workplace conditions
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Customer Focus
- Interpersonal Skills
- Time and Priority Management
- Employee Development/Coaching
Private healthcare, childcare vouchers, pension scheme, cycle to work and other benefits
On going career development and training
Opportunity to be part of a fast-growing, innovative and staff centred company
Why Murphy Surveys:
Murphy Surveys have been in business for the over 35 years and are widely recognised as one of the most experienced, professional, innovative, technically proficient surveying companies today.
Cutting Edge Technologies
To continue to meet the highest possible standards we use only the very latest technological equipment. We recognise that our ongoing investments in this area are key to our success and growth and to the satisfaction of our clients. This investment also enables us to provide a vast range of services without compromise. We also place great emphasis on training our people on an ongoing basis to use the equipment to its full potential.
We pride ourselves on our excellent support network of employees and management who are always eager to help each other. Given the nature of the work we do, there is a shared passion for delivering high quality work to our clients. This shared sense of purpose means that our teams work closely together to effectively plan and implement projects ensuring challenges are shared with the team and solutions are agreed and implemented.
Equality & Opportunity
The company is fully committed to a policy of equality of opportunity in its employment practices. Individuals will be selected, promoted and treated only based on their abilities and merits, according to the requirements of the job.
Learning & Growth
We support and develop our people to enhance their technical and personal competencies towards the achievement of their ambitions. We help understand the skills and capabilities that contribute to success in today’s environment and provide a of ways to develop our staff in their current role and for their future career path.